Can containers depend on Template Haskell?

Henning Thielemann lemming at
Sun Dec 5 08:56:04 CET 2010

On Sat, 4 Dec 2010, Mark Lentczner wrote:

> I'm not being dense here. I understand the implications of such a choice
> in a library. But I can easily imagine libraries where the developers
> will decide to offer slightly different APIs on different platforms,
> Since we have template haskell and cpp preprocessing available, these
> scenarios will arise.

Unfortunately it happened too often already. Especially if a package
depends on user flags, the importer of that package has no chance to find
out, what API of the actual installation of the package is. I have written
this into

Given the problems people already have with Cabal and conflicting
versions, I really really plead for simple packages. One package for each
task. If a package can be compiled on different platforms, that's great.
But it should provide a unified API in order to simplify the work for
other package authors.