Another API stability plea

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 03:52:19 EDT 2010

Hello Alexander,

Monday, August 23, 2010, 7:28:26 AM, you wrote:

> If that happens, is the PVP even needed anymore? If Hackage
> automatically checks when packages break, couldn't it automatically
> determine upper bounds? Then we wouldn't need the conservative
> upper-bound settings.

PVP is about ensuring compatibility with future, not-yet-exist
versions of library.

say, i upload my program that uses SomeLib 1.0 API, and by PVP i
request SomeLib 1.*

if we don't rely on PVP, i should request SomeLib 1.0 and then, once
SomeLib 1.1, 1.2 and so on are released, my cabal file should be
updated automatically to mention that my program is compatible with
new SomeLib versions

another concern is that automatic check cannot ensure unchanged API,
it can check only types. If you change API to accept UTF-8 encoded
strings instead of Latin1-encoded ones, signatures will remain the
same

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com