Another API stability plea

Ivan Lazar Miljenovic ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com
Mon Aug 23 01:08:31 EDT 2010

On 23 August 2010 13:07, Conrad Parker <conrad at metadecks.org> wrote:
> On 23 August 2010 11:36, Ashley Yakeley <ashley at semantic.org> wrote:
>> On 2010-08-11 13:18, John Goerzen wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm writing because there was an API change in a point release. This is
>>> violating our convention and the Platform policy.
>>
>> I wonder if this could be checked automatically by the Hackage upload
>> process?
>
> I think it'd be useful for Hackage to check this automatically, but I
> think it should be part of the archive management not part of the
> upload process.

What do you mean by "archive management"?

I believe the point of having it in Hackage as part of the upload
process rather than part of the "cabal upload" command (or "cabal
check") is that having it as part of Hackage means that they checks
can be maintained reliably and transparently without assuming all
contributors have the very latest version of cabal-install, and that
if extra dependencies (e.g. haskell-src-exts) is needed to perform
these checks then they don't become dependencies of cabal-install.

Also, this can be pre-checked before uploading:
http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/upload.html

--
Ivan Lazar Miljenovic
Ivan.Miljenovic at gmail.com