GHC bus error on Network.BSD.getHostByName

Sebastiaan Visser sfvisser at
Sun Sep 13 08:49:43 EDT 2009

Hello all,

Before I file a bug maybe someone might recognize the following error
and knows if I should blame GHC or someone at Apple. When trying to
use the Network.BSD.getHostByName function ghci exits with a bus
error. The same thing happens with ghc --make and runghc.

> > ghci
> GHCi, version 6.10.4:  :? for help
> Prelude> :m Network.BSD
> Prelude Network.BSD> getHostByName ""
> zsh: bus error  ghci

I'm using a Mac running Snow Leopard and GHC 6.10.4 from the MacOSX
platform installer together with network- Never had any
problems with this function before my upgrade to Snow Leopard. All
other GHC functionality seems to be ok.

Should I file a bug or is this something already known?

Sebastiaan Visser