[lists@qseep.net: [Haskell-cafe] Unable to install Haskell Platform without readline]

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Sat Sep 12 05:24:23 EDT 2009

----- Forwarded message from Lyle Kopnicky <lists at qseep.net> -----

Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 11:46:00 -0700
From: Lyle Kopnicky <lists at qseep.net>
To: haskell-cafe at haskell.org
Subject: [Haskell-cafe] Unable to install Haskell Platform without readline

Hi folks,

I just installed GHC 6.10.4 on Ubuntu 9.04 32-bit, and then tried to install
the Haskell Platform from source. It built quite a bit of stuff, with many
warnings but no errors, and then finally died with the error below.

To install editline, I need cabal, which is of course why I installed the
Platform. I read an earlier thread from May that said that editline came with
GHC 6.10.2, so the Platform didn't work with 6.10.3, but was soon to be
updated. Now the web site for the Platform says it comes with 6.10.4, so I
assumed it should work with 6.10.4, but apparently it still has this problem of
still missing editline.

Am I doing something wrong?

checking editline/readline.h usability... no
checking editline/readline.h presence... no
checking for editline/readline.h... no
checking editline/editline.h usability... no
checking editline/editline.h presence... no
checking for editline/editline.h... no
checking readline/readline.h usability... yes
checking readline/readline.h presence... yes
checking for readline/readline.h... yes
checking for sign of read_history result on error... negative
checking for rl_completion_matches... no
checking for completion_matches... no
configure: error: editline not found, so this package cannot be built
See `config.log' for more details.

Error:
Configuring the editline-0.2.1.0 package failed
make: *** [build.stamp] Error 2

- Lyle