Haskell Platform web page could be more informative

David Menendez dave at zednenem.com
Wed Oct 7 00:47:06 EDT 2009

Since the Haskell Platform is (or will become) the recommended way to
install Haskell for inexperienced users, I am concerned about how
difficult it is to find information about the Platform from its
primary web page at <http://hackage.haskell.org/platform/>.

For example, it's not obvious how a non-expert user would find answers
to these questions:

1. Where should I send questions about the Haskell Platform? The only
contact information provided is the bug tracker.

2. When was the last release of the Haskell Platform? A new user,
seeing the version number 2009.2.0.2, is more likely to think
"February" than "August".

3. When is the next release of the Haskell Platform?

4. How often are releases scheduled?

5. What is new in the current release?

6. What will be included in the next release? If that isn't known yet,
when will it be known?

7. Are there any outstanding issues I should know about? (For example,
do I need to manually edit /usr/bin/ghc after installation on any
particular platforms?)

Note: I am not looking for answers to these questions (except maybe 3
and 5). My concern is that this information is not readily available.

--
Dave Menendez <dave at zednenem.com>
<http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem/>