Patch to register XmlSyntax and RegularPatterns as known extensions

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu May 28 18:09:56 EDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-28 at 23:37 +0200, Niklas Broberg wrote:
> > I'd like to have concrete XML syntax (HSP) and regular expression
> > pattern syntax (HaRP) registered in Language.Haskell.Extension. The
> > attached patch registers XmlSyntax and RegularPatterns as constructors
> > in the Language.Haskell.Extension.Extension data type, along with
> > haddock documentation.

+  -- | Allow concrete XML syntax to be used in expressions and
patterns,
+  -- as per the Haskell Server Pages extension language:
+  -- <http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/HSP>. The ideas behind it are
+  -- discussed in this paper:
+  -- <http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1088353>
+  | XmlSyntax
+
+  -- | Allow regular pattern matching over lists, as discussed in the
+  -- following paper: <http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1016863>
+  | RegularPatterns

Are these papers available publicly anywhere? If so perhaps we should
link to those instead. The ACM links do not give full text access except
to registered users/institutions.

> Eh, and to those reading this on the libraries list, the patch was
> intended for cabal of course. :-)

And the reason Niklas is cc'ing it here is to give people a chance to
comment, eg to make sure the names are sensible and that the docs are
ok.

Of course these docs are far better than for all the other listed
extensions! (patches gratefully accepted) Niklas is one of the first
victims of the new hard-line policy on providing at least some
description along with registered extension names.

Duncan