Platform policy question: API compatability in minor releases

Magnus Therning magnus at
Sat May 9 16:26:43 EDT 2009

Duncan Coutts wrote:
>         Should we allow compatible API additions to a library in a minor
>         release of the platform?
>         The choice is between allowing only bug fixes in minor releases,
>         or also allowing new features that add APIs but do not change
>         any existing APIs.

How has this been handled historically by the GHC team?

I lean towards only doing bug-fixing in minor releases, at least if the
6-monthly release schedule for major releases can be kept.

Magnus Therning                        (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)          Jabber:|twitter: magthe