Platform policy question: API compatability in minor releases

Sittampalam, Ganesh ganesh.sittampalam at credit-suisse.com
Sat May 9 16:02:42 EDT 2009

Duncan Coutts wrote:

> So please post your thoughts and arguments. I hope we can come to a
> conclusion within a few days. This is a timely issue because we aim
> to make a minor release on the 1st of June and we want to finalise
> the list of package versions two weeks prior, by the 18th of May.

I'm in favour of allowing API 'upgrades': I don't think forwards
compatiblity is that valuable, and I think that making life as easy as
possible for maintainers (i.e. reduce the chances that they have to fork
their package to support both the next minor release and the next major
release) is a good thing.

Ganesh