memory issues with cabal

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at
Wed Mar 4 07:33:09 EST 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-03 at 15:53 -0800, Paul Brown wrote:
> Hi, All --
> I'm having some issues getting cabal-install to upgrade itself to the
> current version (Cabal, cabal-install 0.6.2):
> > $ cabal install Cabal cabal-install
> > Resolving dependencies...
> > cabal: memory allocation failed (requested 2097152 bytes)

Are you by any chance using cabal-install version 0.5.x with ghc-6.10?
That version of cabal-install goes into an infinite loop when resolving
dependencies because it cannot cope with the fact that base 3 depends on
base 4.

If you've still got ghc-6.8 installed then you could:

$ cabal install Cabal cabal-install -w ghc-6.8.3

otherwise you'll need to bootstrap cabal-install freshly with ghc-6.10.