Revamping the module hierarchy (was: ANNOUNCE: OpenGLRaw 1.0.0.0)

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Tue Jun 16 10:45:24 EDT 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 10:46:07PM +0200, Johan Tibell wrote:

> Perhaps it's time to overhaul the hierarchy. Some top level module
> namespaces like Network have become very crowded. Network is a very generic
> name that it conveys very little information today when most software has a
> network component. I suggest that parts of it be broken out into new top
> level modules. As a first step I suggest we create a new Http (and not HTTP
> with all caps please) module where we can have:
>
> Http.Client
> Http.Server
> Http.UrlEncoding
> Http.Cookies
> etc.

I don't follow the logic. If Network is crowded, doesn't that mean we
should be aiming to subdivide it, e.g. moving
    Network.Http.*
    Network.Protocol.Http.*
(FSVO "Protocol"; could be "Tcp", or something else entirely)?

If we move everything up to the root then the root will be even more
crowded than Network is.

Thanks
Ian