#60: Set up Platform Committee to decide Add/Remove decisions]

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Mon Jun 15 11:08:40 EDT 2009

FWD to libraries, where the policy discussions will take place.

----- Forwarded message from Sven Panne <Sven.Panne at aedion.de> -----

Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 15:29:35 +0200
From: Sven Panne <Sven.Panne at aedion.de>
To: haskell-platform at community.haskell.org
Subject: Re: [haskell-platform] #60: Set up Platform Committee to decide
	Add/Remove decisions

Just a small remark here: The Platform Committee should seriously take the
main goal of the HP into consideration, i.e. providing a 1-click-installation
resulting in a compiler and tools plus a nice, usable set of libraries for
various platforms. Throwing out everything which might lead to trouble at
compilation time is completely the wrong way. Having trouble (and solving it)
is the main task of people involved in the HP! Only providing packages which
are extremely trivial to install (like mtl or html) doesn't help the end user
at all. Apart from the boring, mostly academic stuff end users expect shiny
things like support for GUIs, graphics and sound. Take the HP and ask
yourself: What applications can I program with it alone which I can show to
friends to convince them about the usefulness of Haskell? Monad transformers
and software transactional memory will convince only very few people, so we
really need *more* packages in the HP, not less...

Cheers,
   S.