Data.Fixed.Fixed constructor

Ashley Yakeley ashley at
Tue Jul 14 01:22:14 EDT 2009

I'm currently working on updating the Data.Fixed module in base. I am
adding Typeable and Data instances (automatically derived), and several
new HasResolution types (including one for 10^-2, monetary currencies
being an obvious Fixed use).

The Fixed type is simply a newtype of Integer. Should I expose its
MkFixed constructor?

* MkFixed is not used in numerical calculation, and isn't itself a
conversion function from Integer (obviously).

* Ratio doesn't expose its constructor.

* It's possible to recreate it anyway.

* There's a Data instance, so morally the constructor is exposed.

Ashley Yakeley