Thinking about what's missing in our library coverage

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at
Fri Aug 7 12:36:46 EDT 2009

On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 4:59 AM, Duncan Coutts
<duncan.coutts at>wrote:

> >   * keep an eye on text.  We certainly want it, but it's
> >     a young package and there's no text I/O yet.
> I'd say go for it. If the current API is good then that's enough. It's
> not clear that there needs to be separate I/O modules for it. I might
> suggest hiding all the fusion modules for starter though.

It's really not ready for prime time yet. I'm making changes to the API at
the moment, but they're not complete, and I want to see what the new
localised I/O support in 6.12 looks like to figure out whether I can hook
into that in an agreeable fashion to get localised I/O without jumping
through too many hoops. I'm even contemplating trimming the naming from
Data.Text to Text, as part of my little war on meaningless module prefixes
:-)  So please, don't go for it just yet. Pitch in with patches instead!