Proposal: rename Data.Map.fromAscList to Data.Map.unsafeFromAscList

Chris Eidhof chris at eidhof.nl
Fri Apr 24 07:58:49 EDT 2009

Hey all,

I had some code where the function elems said a certain key was
present, but looking it up returned a Nothing. After some debugging I
found out that it did work if I used Prelude's lookup in combination
with toList. After even more debugging it turned out there was a
fromAscList somewhere deep down in my code where it should have been a
fromList.

Now, I know that I shouldn't have used fromAscList and that it was
totally my fault. I also realize this is something that can't easily
be checked using the type system, so I propose we do the next best
thing: prefix the name with 'unsafe'.

-chris