Failure to install time package

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Thu Apr 16 11:53:28 EDT 2009

|Another word of warning about the time library.
|If one builds and installs it using cygwin it will detect that the
|localtime_r() function exists, but the actual linking is against MinGW
|libraries where it does not exists, so it will fail.
|The package must be build using MinGW.

A similar thing happened with GLUT/OpenGL, when they were
dropped. For them, the workaround is to pass the --host option
for configure (which used to come via the in-GHC-tree build system).
Perhaps that would work for time as well, since it used to build using
cygwin.

There might be other fallout, eg people have run into other
configuration settings not being passed correctly when GLUT
is installed in isolation, and without a separate MinGW (not
finding includes in GHC's internal MinGW tree, usually).

Claus

>From the script I use to reinstall packages after rebuilding ghc head:

#!/bin/sh
CMD=${CMD:-"install"}
CABAL="cabal $CMD $OPTION"
$CABAL ghc-paths
$CABAL ghc-syb
$CABAL ghood
$CABAL opengl --configure-option="--host=i386-unknown-mingw32"
$CABAL glut --configure-option="--host=i386-unknown-mingw32"
$CABAL mersenne-random-pure64
$CABAL uvector
$CABAL vector