Proposal #2659: Add sortOn and friends to Data.List

Isaac Dupree isaacdupree at charter.net
Wed Oct 15 16:06:27 EDT 2008

apfelmus wrote:
> but I don't like the name. In particular I don't like the "get" prefix
> in "getDown". I'd simply use
>
>   newtype Desc a = Desc a

what's up with "Down", "Descending" etc.?  "Ord" is a
symmetric, mathematical concept, no more "ascending" than
"descending"!  It's just a convention (created/used by
functions like "sort") to sort ascending, and it annoys me a
little that they're not called "sortAsc" (sortAscending) to
say what they do.  I'd suggest something like "ReverseOrd"
or "ReverseOrder", (or "Opposite..."?) (or some abbreviated
version?)

-Isaac