Character escape codes in Parsec

Philippa Cowderoy flippa at flippac.org
Sun Mar 30 11:01:39 EDT 2008

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008, Tim Chevalier wrote:

> I can't exactly tell from looking at the source, but is the default
> token parser in Parsec supposed to be parsing ASCII strings? If so,
> isn't this a bug in Parsec? If not, and it's meant to be able to
> handle Unicode or something, I think the documentation should be
> clearer.

My guess is it's not particularly "supposed" to be doing much, but it
munches Char and so Unicode input is a distinct possibility. I'd also
guess that after the \ it just reuses the existing hex literal function
which definitely does need to handle arbitrary length .

My approach is simple: when in doubt, write your own lexing functions - at
least that way any nasty surprises are your own fault!

flippa at flippac.org

Performance anxiety leads to premature optimisation