Cannot link to readline

Judah Jacobson judah.jacobson at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 03:18:45 EST 2008

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 11:58 PM, Yitzchak Gale <gale at sefer.org> wrote:
> On Mac OS X 10.4, I can't link programs that use readline
>  unless I explicitly specify the GNUreadline framework
>  on the ghc command line:
>
>   Note that this happens for programs that explicitly use
>   System.Console.Readline, not in general ghc use.
>
>   Manuel M T Chakravarty wrote:
>   > Did you specify -package readline?
>
>   -package readline doesn't help. It only compiles if I say
>   -framework GNUreadline.
>
>   > The readline package spec should include the framework
>   > option (if not, its a bug in the config of the readline package IMO).

I agree; the framework is supposed to be linked in automatically.

Yitzchak, what version of GHC are you running?  Is it a development
build or a release?

Also, what is the output of the following commands?

ghc-pkg describe readline
otool -L /usr/local/lib/ghc-6.8.2/ghc-6.8.2   [modified to fit the
location/version of your ghc]

-Judah