building a helper binary with cabal

Evan Martin martine at danga.com
Sun Mar 2 17:34:25 EST 2008

On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 10:11 AM, Duncan Coutts
<duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>  The install phase is really two phases, copy and register. The copy
>  phase has the CopyDest param. The default install hook just runs the
>  copy and register phases. So you probably want to override the copy hook
>  and not the install one.

It seems the default copy hook just runs the install hook, and that
the install hook doesn't run the copy one... ?

http://haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries/Cabal/src/Distribution-Simple.html#simpleUserHooks
  copyHook  = \desc lbi _ f -> install desc lbi f, -- has correct
'copy' behavior with params

I'm sure I'm just missing something here, but my "postCopy" hook
doesn't seem to be running with "install -v3".

>  The hooks stuff is all really very confusing and unsatisfactory.

I agree, but I can also appreciate how difficult it must be to design,
and can acknowledge that it may be the case that it really just needs
to be this complicated.  Having used autoconf and friends before, one
thing I really prefer about this system is that there are bazillion
different types which helps prevent you from accidentally doing
something like putting a intermediate object in the source dir or
installing while ignoring the user's prefix.