building a helper binary with cabal

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sun Mar 2 13:11:54 EST 2008

On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 09:40 -0800, Evan Martin wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 9:17 AM, Evan Martin <martine at danga.com> wrote:
> >  >  let dirs = absoluteInstallDirs pkg_descr lbi copydest
> >  >  copyFileVerbose verbosity file (libdir dirs </> file)
> >
> >  Thanks, this is very helpful!
> >  absoluteInstallDirs takes a few more args, so here's a longer example
> >  for the mailing list archives.  I'm 98% of the way there, just need to
> >  figure out copyDest.
>
> I see now that there are two different absoluteInstallDirs and you
> were referring to the other one.  It's much simpler now.  Though my
> confusion about CopyDest remains...

The install phase is really two phases, copy and register. The copy
phase has the CopyDest param. The default install hook just runs the
copy and register phases. So you probably want to override the copy hook
and not the install one.

The hooks stuff is all really very confusing and unsatisfactory.

> (Is there a way to search Hoogle for "functions returning CopyDest"?)

No idea, ask Neil. In this case it would not have helped since it's not
the result of any function directly. It's an arg that your function will
be passed. It does appear in a covariant position at least.

Duncan