Package spam :-)

Dan Doel dan.doel at gmail.com
Thu Jun 19 21:24:37 EDT 2008

On Thursday 19 June 2008, Gwern Branwen wrote:
> I'd like to note that these were not 'random forks'. JPB, the collections
> maintainer, apparently he split them up last year, listing himself and Hey
> as maintainers of various packages. All I did was fix up the usual Cabal
> breakage and re-upload when he accepted my patches; otherwise they are as
> they were.

For what it's worth, I'm the one who suggested to Gwern that he update the
cabal stuff for collections. Someone had remarked that there was no good way
to make use of various collection types in the standard libraries, and I knew
that the collections package on hackage took steps toward rectifying that.
But, it didn't build on 6.8, due to what looked like a split-base issue. I
knew Gwern had experience fixing up cabal-related stuff, so I told him he
might want to try getting them fixed.

Looking at my IRC logs, I see that some of the split packages mentioned
already existed on hackage at the time. I noted that COrdering and
Data.Tree.AVL were. I'm not sure about the rest.

Now the original collections package (which was building fine on 6.6) seems to
be gone from hackage, even though it had been on there for quite some time
(over a year, at a guess).

-- Dan