Proposal: overhaul System.Process

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Jun 19 06:32:07 EDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-06-18 at 16:22 -0700, Frederik Eaton wrote:

> In any case, it still makes sense to me to keep the previous interfaces
> around indefinitely - even if they have to be redefined in terms of
> 'createProcess'.

I wouldn't mind keeping them indefinitely (especially since they're just
simple instances of createProcess) so long as they eventually get
removed from the documentation (or at a very minimum, removed to a
separate page where I don't have to look at them).

I think that would also satisfy Curt and his point about the cruft in
the Java's libraries.

Keeping stuff around so you don't break old programs is fine and great.
Making the documentation large and the api look very wide and not
knowing which functions to pick is actively bad.

Duncan