darcs patch: Re: Readline readHistory & writeHistory API broken

Judah Jacobson judah.jacobson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 14:26:14 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 5:04 AM, Krasimir Angelov <kr.angelov at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just fixing the comments is also fine for me. I personally use another
> file name.
>
> On 6/11/08, Ian Lynagh <igloo at earth.li> wrote:
>> On Sun, Jun 08, 2008 at 05:30:34PM +0200, Krasimir Angelov wrote:
>> >
>> > Note the comments "(if null, write ~/.history)"! This is supported in
>> > the original C API but in Haskell the filepath cannot be null. In the
>> > best case it can be empty string. Either the type signatures have to
>> > be changed to accept (Maybe FilePath) or the comments have to be
>> > changed because the Haskell binding currently doesn't support this
>> > functionality.
>>
>> If writing to ~/.history is useful then Maybe FilePath makes sense to
>> me, as ~/.history is a bit fiddly to work out yourself.
>>
>> However, it doesn't sound that useful to me, as then all applications
>> would trample over each other.
>>
>> If you want to propose that it uses Maybe FilePath then you'll need to
>> follow http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Library_submissions; otherwise
>> I'll just fix the comments.

I agree that just fixing the comments is fine.

Ian, it looks like the editline library also has this problem.  Can
you please apply the attached patch (or its equivalent)?

Wed Jun 11 11:16:24 PDT 2008  Judah Jacobson <judah.jacobson at gmail.com>
  * Remove erroneous comment from readHistory and writeHistory.

    M ./System/Console/Editline/Readline.hsc -2 +2

Thanks,
-Judah