installing non-haskell binaries with cabal

Misha Aizatulin avatar at hot.ee
Tue Jun 10 08:42:19 EDT 2008

Gwern Branwen wrote:
> And of course, at that point, you'd be better off just writing the script in Haskell.

   I'd still be happy if cabal better supported heterogeneous projects,
where some parts are written in another language. Count it as my feature
request - seems to be be quite easy as far as executable installation is
concerned.
   There are many reasons to write some utilities in another language, like
  * legacy code
  * a two-liner shell script is small, where an equivalent compiled
    haskell code may be hundreds of kbs (looks like cabal doesn't allow
    to install haskell scripts, only compiled code)
  * my editor does syntax highlighting for pure shell scripts but not for
    shell scripts wrapped in haskell
  * love for pipes, subshells, perl regular expressions, etc.

   If you want an example, look at ghc: it comes with perl scripts.

Cheers,
   Misha