Integrating editline with ghc

Judah Jacobson judah.jacobson at
Tue Jan 29 00:10:28 EST 2008

On Jan 28, 2008 8:53 PM, Manuel M T Chakravarty <chak at> wrote:
> Judah Jacobson:
> > On Jan 27, 2008 6:23 PM, Manuel M T Chakravarty
> > <chak at> wrote:
> >> AFAIK libedit (which is the editline port used in Linux
> >> distributions - <>) needs (n)curses.
> > Also, a small correction: both readline and libedit only need termcap,
> > not curses (which provides a termcap interface).
> At <> it says to link with
>    gcc -o fileman fileman.c -ledit -lcurses
> and explicitly says "Note libcurses, as well as libedit, should be
> linked to Editline enabled programs".

Oh, sorry; I didn't see that.  But when I looked through the source
code and configure/build files of libedit, it seemed like it only
needs libtermcap.  I suspect that despite what it says on that site,
either "-ledit -lcurses" or "-ledit -ltermcap" will work fine.

Anyway, this is probably a moot point; I don't know of any modern
systems that have termcap but not curses.  (For example, on my system
libtermcap.a is a symlink to libncurses.a.)