Readline read_history and write_history addition

Judah Jacobson judah.jacobson at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 14:09:56 EST 2008

On Jan 18, 2008 11:10 PM, Alexander Dunlap <alexander.dunlap at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'd like to propose the addition of read_history and write_history
> bindings to the readline library. I believe I've followed the
> instructions on the Haskell wiki appropriately and I've set up a
> ticket (with a patch) at
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/2053.
>
> Essentially, the patch adds simple bindings so that Haskell programs
> can use Readline's read_history and write_history functions. This will
> be useful for the implementation of
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/2050 (add persistent
> history to GHCi) and potentially other applications.
>
> Thanks for your time and consideration.
>
> Alex

That patch looks good to me.  While we're at it, can we also add the
following related functions, which are used to control the maximum
size of the history file?  (They're also provided by editline.)

void		 clear_history(void);
void		 stifle_history(int);
int		 unstifle_history(void);
int		 history_is_stifled(void);