Copyright for readline/editline packages

Judah Jacobson judah.jacobson at
Mon Jan 14 17:48:17 EST 2008

On Jan 12, 2008 11:11 AM, Judah Jacobson <judah.jacobson at> wrote:
> On 1/12/08, Isaac Dupree <isaacdupree at> wrote:
> >
> > if the only copyright license granted for the Haskell-readline code is
> > GPL (which sounds true), then it has to stay GPL.  If BSD was also given
> > as permission (it's always possible to give more permissions for the
> > parts of something that you hold the copyright to), then, no worries,
> > Haskell-editline can be BSD.
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > Finding the author would be good if we could though, because she/he/they
> > would most likely give us BSD permissions (just guessing :-)
> >
> > ~Isaac
> >
> Thanks all, that's pretty much what I expected.  I'll try to track
> down the author and get BSD permissions from them.

An update: I determined that three people (Marcin Kowalczyk, Simon
Marlow and Isaac Jones) were significant contributers to that file.
All three have given their blessing towards licensing that code under

I hope to have a preliminary version of the editline package uploaded
to hackage sometime later this week.