sourceforge and HSQL

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sun Feb 17 19:10:20 EST 2008

On Sun, 2008-02-17 at 21:30 +0000, Frederik Eaton wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was trying to apply my patches to the HSQL, and I noticed that Bjorn
> has already applied them (thanks!) in 2006, and they are visible at
>
> http://darcs.haskell.org/HSQL/
>
> I even have emails where he tells me that he applied them to CVS,
> sorry for missing that!
>
> However, there is still the problem that new users who search for
> "HSQL haskell" will find the following sourceforge page much higher in
> their search results than the darcs.haskell.org URL:
>
> http://htoolkit.sourceforge.net/
>
> and they will be directed to download the buggy, two-year-old
> HSQL-1.7:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=65248
>
> rather than the latest version at http://darcs.haskell.org/HSQL/.
>
> I have tried to find out the answers to the following questions from
> Krasimir and then Duncan, but no response:

Yeah, sorry, forgot.

> 1. How do we get rid of the defunct HSQL versions at sourceforge.net?

You can ask Krasimir to add you as a project admin. This seems the most
straightforward option. In the extreme case, SourceForge do have
procedures to transfer projects when their maintainers disappear but
that does not seem necessary at this stage.

> 2. How does one push patches to http://darcs.haskell.org/HSQL/? Who
> maintains that version?

Have the darcs motd redirect to a new repo on code.haskell.org. You can
ask someone to do this for you. So the old one will remain but be
clearly marked as defunct.

> At this point, it seems #1 is more important than #2, since all the
> patches I care about have been committed to the darcs version and the
> darcs version compiles with the latest GHC/Cabal...

Then all you need is a release on hackage that works :-)

Duncan