Proposal: Add concatMapM function (#2042)

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at
Fri Feb 1 06:11:00 EST 2008

Hello Johan,

>> I think the Haskell Way of interpreting bytes as Latin-1 - while
>> unfortunate in today's multi-everything environment - is something we
>> just have to live with.  Too much code expects this behavior, and too
>> many tasks require just reading ASCII to be burdened with
>> complications of locales and character sets.

> Why do we have to live with it?  I understand why we ended up with the
> situation we have today. Most languages have/had the same problem.

the problem is just over-complication of existing Handle
implementation - it's about 2kloc of high-messed code. taking into
account that it lacks a lot of other required features, it's quite
meaningless to spend a lot of time fixing it for just one particular

i've implemented 2 versions of Streams library which includes
everything i know about i/o (i.e. no networking, overlapped i/o or
iconv) and started to implement its 3rd version which includes
bytestring i/o but then switched to more interesting project. Streams
is still the most complete haskell i/o library and quite useful. its
main drawback is lack of docs, especially for second version, but to
some degree you can understand it just by analogy with System.IO

Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at