[nightly] 10-Aug-2008 build of HEAD on i386-unknown-linux (cam-02-unx.europe.corp.microsoft.com)

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Mon Aug 11 07:16:08 EDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-08-11 at 08:25 +0100, Simon Peyton-Jones wrote:

> | Data/Time/Calendar/Gregorian.hs:73:9:
> |     Warning: orphan instance: instance Show Day
> |
> | <no location info>:
> | Failing due to -Werror.
> |
> | gmake[2]: *** [dist/build/Data/Time/Calendar/Gregorian.o] Error 1
> | gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/playpen/simonmar/nightly/HEAD/i386-unknown-linux/libraries/time'
> | gmake[1]: *** [make.library.time] Error 2
> | gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/playpen/simonmar/nightly/HEAD/i386-unknown-linux/libraries'
> | gmake: *** [stage1] Error 2
>
> Now that orphan warnings are "proper warnings" as Duncan requested,
> and hence do the right thing with -Werror,

Thank you :-)

Author:         Ashley Yakeley
Maintainer:     <ashley at semantic.org>

however...

> There may be other libraries similarly affected.

I think we should not build the non-core libs with -Werror. It makes
perfect sense for the core libs where the ghc team effectively maintains
them, but not for non-core ones.

It is for exactly this reason that hackage rejects packages that specify
"ghc-options: -Werror"; new compiler warnings make old packages fail to
compile. So there should not be many libraries affected (there are only
one or two on hackage that use -Werror before we added the check to
reject it). So the packages themselves don't specify -Werror. I assume
it's just ghc's build system adds it for all libs, core and other.

Duncan