Proposal: Fix abstract unix sockets (#1699)

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Mon Sep 17 07:52:25 EDT 2007

Hi Lennart,

On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 10:16:40AM +0100, Lennart Kolmodin wrote:

> I've added proposal #1699 to fix abstract unix sockets on Linux for the
> network library.

You haven't suggested a deadline; between the GHC release and ICFP et al,
perhaps 15 Oct would make sense?

> The patch is so far only tested under Linux (2.6.15), but should not
> affect Windows or other OSes which does not have AUS.

So if I understand correctly, with this patch certain paths would be
treated differently, but only on Linux machines? If someone tries to use
AUS on a non-Linux system, will things break horribly? i.e. would it be
better to have a separate package/module for this Linux-specific
behaviour?

> Also, due to much more socklen usage:
>  * Switch Network.Socket to use CSockLen instead of CInt.
>  * Cleanup surrounding code.

It would be better for code fixes and cleanup to be in a separate patch
from new functionality; this part sounds like it should definitely be
applied.

Thanks
Ian