patch applied (packages/regex-base): Make setup script compileagain after recent Cabal changes

Seth Kurtzberg seth at cql.com
Tue Sep 4 10:45:49 EDT 2007

-----Original Message-----
From: libraries-bounces at haskell.org [mailto:libraries-bounces at haskell.org] On Behalf Of Peter Gavin
Sent: Monday, September 03, 2007 9:16 PM
Cc: libraries at haskell.org; Claus Reinke
Subject: Re: patch applied (packages/regex-base): Make setup script compileagain after recent Cabal changes

On 9/1/07, Sven Panne <sven.panne at aedion.de> wrote:
> The main problem is that I've been hearing the sentence "Cabal is unstable at
> the moment, but with the next GHC release everything will be fixed and
> rock-solid, never changing again, ..." at least for a year now. In my
> experience, Cabal is *the* #1 reason for breaking build for aeons, and this
> is really getting frustrating.

It doesn't sound like you'd disagree with me, I just want to make a
couple comments about this...

Autoconf had similar problems during its infancy.  Packages were
constantly having problems.  It takes time to work out the kinks, and
bugs should be expected for the time being.  And if you consider that
Cabal is trying to be autoconf, automake, and libtool, and make, in a
single tool, there will be that many more kinks to work out :)

I completely agree.  The level of instability is actually quite good given the location of Cabal in the software life cycle.  Obviously, more stable is better, but IMO the developers have delivered a level of stability that, given the context, is above reasonable expectations

Seth Kurtzberg
Software Engineer
Specializing in Security, Reliability, and the Hardware/Software Interface

Pete