patch applied (packages/regex-base): Make setupscriptcompileagain after recent Cabal changes

Claus Reinke claus.reinke at talk21.com
Mon Sep 3 10:34:36 EDT 2007

> The second example isn't syntactically correct.  What are you getting at here?

is that really as completely unobvious to you as your question implies?

    -- A
    module Main where
    import Data.Time
    main = print =<< getCurrentTime

    -- B
    module Main where
    import Data
    main = print =<< Time.getCurrentTime

given that package P only exposes a module Data (which, in turn, exports
a module Time), it appears that A behaves as if it was B. is that intended?
or is something else going on? which is what Ian was asking about, wasn't it?

> FWIW, there was a proposal to add a package qualifier to import
> declarations, but it wasn't unanimously viewed as the right thing at the
> time (check the libraries at haskell.org archives).  Same goes for the various
> "grafting"/"mounting" proposals - we just haven't seen a proposal that has
> the right power to weight ratio.  Meanwhile, the current package system
> seems to be scaling quite nicely, thank you.

no offense intended;-)

> We do intend, I think, to allow packages to re-export modules, it just
> needs to be implemented.  (I see it as a missing feature, rather than a bug
> or a "design flaw", though).

as long as we agree on the features we want, we don't need to
agree on whether their lack is a flaw or a miss.

claus