Packages within a package

John D. Ramsdell ramsdell at mitre.org
Wed Oct 24 12:05:33 EDT 2007

Henning Thielemann <lemming at henning-thielemann.de> writes:

> On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, John D. Ramsdell wrote:
>
> > Henning Thielemann <lemming at henning-thielemann.de> writes:
> >
> > > It was requested several times but it seems not to be designed and
> > > implemented so easily.
> >
> > I bet it's easier than you think.  You just have to dynamically
> > generate package configuration files, just as I did to resolve my
> > linking problem.
>
> I think that this solution was already discussed.  It has the
> drawback that I can no longer be sure what's actually in an
> installed package. ...

For the NuSMV motivated case, subpackages are never installed.  You
use them only to build the libraries and executables that are exported
by the top-level package, and thus one is always sure what is
installed by a package, and that subpackages cannot cause installation
conflicts.

Of course your point was aimed at more general cases, ones that aren't
solved by the simple suggestion I made.  I'll try to come up with a
suggestion that handles more cases.

John