Packages within a package

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Wed Oct 24 09:13:23 EDT 2007

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007, John D. Ramsdell wrote:

> Henning Thielemann <lemming at henning-thielemann.de> writes:
>
> > It was requested several times but it seems not to be designed and
> > implemented so easily.
>
> I bet it's easier than you think.  You just have to dynamically
> generate package configuration files, just as I did to resolve my
> linking problem.

I think that this solution was already discussed. It has the drawback that
I can no longer be sure what's actually in an installed package. If I have
the package dependency foobar=1.0 in my Cabal file then I must be sure
that foobar-1.0 on every user machine will contain all the modules in the
same state as I have installed on my machine.

If Cabal packages are mapped 1:1 to Debian or RPM packages then it would
be really cumbersome to have to split up a project to one Cabal package
per executable.  Otherwise it's ok for me to handle executables in
separate units ("sub-packages" or just "packages").