new language extensions

Ian Lynagh igloo at earth.li
Thu Nov 8 09:27:55 EST 2007

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 09:40:25PM +0000, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> Last call for objections or comments.
>
> We'd like to get this into Language.Haskell.Extension asap so we can
> include it in the Cabal distributed with ghc-6.8.2. Currently there are
> packages that compiled fine with Cabal and ghc-6.6.x but not with
> ghc-6.8.x because we're missing these new more fine-grained language
> extensions.
>
> See http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/160

I'd much rather see http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/147
fixed. Then Cabal would work with future GHCs, with new extensions as
yet undreamt of, as well.

This would provide the mechanism we need; the policy, i.e. what the
extension names mean, should be defined somewhere outside of Cabal.

(you would still need to add the new extension names defined in 6.8.1 to
the legacy mapping for 6.6 flags).

Thanks
Ian