Automated tests for the libraries?

Paul Johnson paul at cogito.org.uk
Mon Mar 19 16:06:12 EDT 2007

Neil Mitchell wrote:
> I don't see much complication in extending my approach. In fact, I
> suspect that my FilePath test extractor is overly complex, since it
> allows:
>
> Windows: property
> Posix: property
> property
I actually think that something like this should be preserved.  I can
imagine several reasons for having flags of this kind.
Platform-specific flags are an obvious one.  Another would be to
distinguish QuickCheck, HUnit and FastCheck tests, as well as tests that
take no arguments.  Currently Neil treats these as QuickCheck tests, but
this (unless I'm mistaken) will result in each one being called 100
times, which shouldn't be necessary.

In the long run we will also need to handle multi-line properties, the
QuickCheck forEach combinator, and probably stateful tests of monadic
actions.

So I suggest that we look for lines of the form

-- > q: reverse (xs ++ ys) ==
-- >       (reverse ys ++ reverse xs)
-- > u: reverse "foobar" == "raboof"
-- > u: null $ reverse []

The letters before the colon are a series of flags, q = QuickCheck, u =
Unit, f = FastCheck, W = Windows only, P = Posix only, and so on.  Note
that the "reverse" example is split across lines.

Incidentally, how does the test extractor handle arguments?  Does it
parse the code for variables?  If so then could we have a line to
declare argument types for properties where they can't be inferred?
Something like:

-- > t: xs, ys :: [Int]
-- > t: str :: String

Would this make sense?