Proposal [Trac #1212]: add IPv6 support to network library

Bryan O'Sullivan bos at serpentine.com
Thu Mar 15 23:07:50 EDT 2007

Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:

> This proposal adds two standard protocol-independent functions to
> Network.BSD to allow the networking code to work with both IPv6 and IPv4
> addresses and protocols.

There have been two comments so far.

Sven Panne would like to see a portable (i.e. not platform dependent)
set of constants defined in the package.  I have no problem with this,
so I'll trim the list down to ones that are known to work everywhere.

Peter Simons suggests that in fact Network.Socket would be a better home
for all of the new functionality, instead of Network.BSD, as the IPv6
entry points and constants do not have a BSD heritage (they're defined
in RFC 2553, and available on all modern operating systems under the
same names).  I agree.  Furthermore, adding this functionality to
Network.Socket will mean that new code will never need to import
Network.BSD.

As a consequence, I'm going to redo the patch, and tender it for
consideration again in a day or two, then extend the discussion period
for another week.

	<b