System.FilePath Re[2]: ANN: HSH 1.2.0

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 14:20:50 EST 2007

Hello Bryan,

Saturday, March 10, 2007, 8:19:37 PM, you wrote:
>> -- i've added crossposts to John Meacham and Einar Karttunen because
>> -- you also denoted interest in new i/o library
> Me, too :-)

strange, but your letter don't contains crossposts to them. may be
it's because i had errors when tried to add crossposting to them.
well, i continue in the libraries list

>> - portable async i/o which is able to work via select/epoll/...
> I think you mean non-blocking I/O here, right?  Async is not the same thing.

i don't mentioned all the features that are already in ghc i/o
library, they are just too numerous. but of course i suppose that we
want to support them all. non-blocking i/o is among these things (see
hGetBufNonBlocking/hPutBufNonBlocking)

async i/o is idea of SimonM/JohnM/Einar of adding support of epoll and
other async i/o systems so that thousands of haskell threads may
perform i/o simultaneously w/o much cpu overhead. btw, it's already
implemented in network-alt lib, but only for its networking i/o
facilities. John Meacham issued an idea of universal API on top of all
these systems that may be used by any i/o library (and haskell
compiler) to easily implement support for async i/o. but we need
details, unix tricks is not my area of knowledge

>> - interfacing with Streams and FPS libraries

> It should also integrate cleanly with the network stack, which needs an
> overhaul about as badly as the I/O library.  Einar Karttunen maintains
> his network-alt library at
> http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/ekarttun/network-alt/
> which I think is a good starting point.

yes, it's one more topic that i lost (and what i don't understand like
i don't understand unix)

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com