darcs patch: Remove unsafeCoerce-importing kludgery in favor of Uns...

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 05:49:00 EDT 2007

Ashley Yakeley wrote:
> Can we move the other unsafe stuff into the Unsafe.* hierarchy?

It's not clear to me that Unsafe.System.IO would be better than
System.IO.Unsafe.  What is the primary purpose of unsafePerformIO - to do IO, or
to be unsafe?

I see the point - to clearly separate all the unsafe stuff - but there are other
categories of things that we might also want to separate (e.g. Haskell 98 vs.
non-Haskell 98, portable vs. non-portable, deprecated vs. current...).  We made
the decision a long time ago that the hierarchy should categorise by
functionality rather than any other property of modules.  There are exceptions
(System.Posix), but it's still a good rule of thumb.

Cheers,
	Simon