getting cabal to pass more info to haddock

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sun Jan 7 15:43:10 EST 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-07 at 12:32 -0800, Conal Elliott wrote:
> Thanks.  Looks simple enough, and I compiled up a version that works
> this way.  I don't know how to get ghc to use it.  When I "./setup
> install", I get Cabal-1.1.7 registered, but my ghc-6.6 wants to use
> Cabal-1.1.6 instead.

Try cleaning and rebuilding your prog, you've probably got existing .hi
files that refer to the older package version. That or perhaps you are
using other packages that were built against Cabal-1.1.6, eg the ghc api
package. You can force ghc to use a specific version using "ghc -package
Cabal-1.1.7" and see what it complains about.

> Worse, I unregistered 1.1.6, and now I can't use cabal at all with
> ghc.  Do you know how get 1.1.6 back short of re-installing ghc?

You can re-register the old version, though I'm not sure where you can
get the right package.conf file from. If you built from source you can
grab the file from the build tree. If you installed from a distro
package then re-installing that should be easy.

> BTW, I noticed in the function "haddock" in Distribution.Simple , the
> line "++ programArgs confHaddock", which leads me to suspect that
> there's an approach getting extra Haddock arguments passed by tweaking
> my Setup.lhs.  Is that so?

Ask on the cabal-devel list, I'm not sure without delving into the code.

Duncan