about compiler-independent base

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 08:25:38 EDT 2007

Hello Simon,

> This is not an attempt to solve all the issues we have in one go, but a
> practical incremental step towards the goal.  I'm not trying to make base
> compiler-independent for example; that's a worthy goal, but it's not clear (at
> least to me) how to get there yet.

i'm all for this plan. long way starts with first step

about "making base compiler-independent". its *interface* is already
compiler-independent. if you say about implementation, it seems rather
obvious for me - split it into ghc-base package that includes GHC.*
and modules on which GHC.* depend and new-base package which contains
the rest. then move any "#ifdef GHC" code into from new-base into
*hc-base. then, as time permits, we can start to move ghc-independent
code from ghc-base into new-base. meantime, faking Base package may be
established that just reexports ghc-base and new-base, so user will
not depend on where we moved each particular module

my Core library was actually an attempt to separate GHC.* into
ghc-specific and ghc-independent part

of course, it's entirely separate proposal, we can return to
discussing it in some future, probably after your plan will be
implemented

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com