haskell.org libraries and tools page needs some fixing

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Wed Mar 22 06:38:08 EST 2006

Björn Bringert <bringert at cs.chalmers.se> wrote:

> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Libraries_and_tools
> Problems:
>
> - The page is very large.
> - Many sections are large.

How about separating each category/section into a new page, all linked
from a single category index at the current location?

> - Many of the libraries have been moved into the standard libraries.

It is very useful for people looking for a particular piece of
functionality to know that there is a "standard" library for it.  It
might be good to put references to *more* of the standard libraries.

> - Some libraries are listed in multiple sections (at least some
>    CGI libraries, there might be more).

Some libraries do span more than one category?

> - Small and large, new and old libraries are mixed, and it's
>    difficult for the reader to asses which things are relevant.

An indication of size and healthiness would be very useful.

> - Replace dead links with Internet Archive links

Good, but only if coupled with the "obsolete" marking below.

> - Create an "obsolete" subsection of each section, and move old
>    stuff there. Of course it can be difficult to figure out which
>    things are obsolete, but I guess a first approximation would be
>    everything for which the link is dead.

Yes.  The general healthiness of a library is an important feature to
notate.

Regards,
    Malcolm