haskell.org libraries and tools page needs some fixing

Björn Bringert bringert at cs.chalmers.se
Wed Mar 22 05:35:42 EST 2006

Hi all,

I recently wanted to add some libraries to
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Libraries_and_tools and noticed a
number of problems.

Problems:

- The page is very large.

- Many sections are large.

- Many of the libraries linked to are obsolete.

- Many of the links are dead [1].

- Many of the libraries have been moved into the standard libraries.

- Some libraries are listed in multiple sections (at least some
   CGI libraries, there might be more).

- Small and large, new and old libraries are mixed, and it's
   difficult for the reader to asses which things are relevant.

- The page is not valid XHTML, the W3C Validator finds 433 errors [2].

   * The pages uses <dt> tags everywhere, even though there is Wiki
     markup for definition lists. This seems to be causing most of
     the problems.

Some possible remedies:

- Replace dead links with Internet Archive links

- Create an "obsolete" subsection of each section, and move old
   stuff there. Of course it can be difficult to figure out which things
   are obsolete, but I guess a first approximation would be everything
   for which the link is dead.

- For libraries which are part of the standard libraries, provide links
to the haddock page for the relevant module.

- Replace HTML tags with Wiki markup.

I'm willing to start working on this, but I want to check with you guys
first. Any comments, ideas, or flames?

I guess that if I start doing major stuff like chaning the mark-up, I'll
put a note at the top asking people to hold off editing for a short while.

/Björn

[1]
http://www.cs.chalmers.se/~bringert/misc/hslibs-checklink/checklink.html

[2]