New collections package ready (almost)

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 08:07:52 EST 2006

Hello Simon,

>> So, you can try to make "collections" a default package, so I can
>> start moving stuff out of "base" into it.

SM> I'm not completely comfortable with shipping this framework with GHC at
SM> the moment, given the small amount of discussion it has received, and
SM> the volume of competition in this space.  This isn't a criticism of the
SM> design at all (indeed, I haven't looked at it in detail).  I'd much
SM> prefer to see this provided as a separate package for now.

SM> Of course if a concensus emerges that this collections framework is the
SM> right way to go, then we'll certainly include it - a collections
SM> framework is pretty basic functionality.

i want to support this. i also working on the libs that, i hope, will
go into the ghc 6.6, but until they are thoroughly tested and tuned
it's better to make them individual packages. in particular, i name my
modules "GHC.Arr_", "Data.Array_.*" and so on, so that they can be
compiled together with existing GHC sources but this naming makes
obvious what modules of base package they should replace

on the other side, it may be a good idea to give to such packages some
place on the official darcs server so that work on them can be made
collaborative as on other ghc/base parts

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com