I like it, was Re: registering packages in ghc using a directory of package files

Shae Matijs Erisson shae at ScannedInAvian.com
Mon Mar 13 05:48:21 EST 2006

Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk> writes:

> On Sun, 2006-03-12 at 21:41 +0000, Duncan Coutts wrote:
>
>> I'm somewhat tempted to patch our current ghc to do this, it might be
>> easier to get that working than to get our current hacks to work
>> properly.
>
> Attached is the current patch I'm testing.
>
> It's pretty minimal. It doesn't convert everything over to use a
> directory of .conf files. It just makes ghc and ghc-pkg look for
> package.conf.d/*.conf in addition to the normal package.conf.
>
> So in fact ghc-pkg still registers by modifying the global package.conf
> file. It's just that this allows us to register without using ghc-pkg at
> all and directly dropping a file into the right directory.

I really like this idea. I've had a variety of package registration
difficulties in the past, sometimes requiring hand editing of the ghc-pkg data.
A directory holding per-package .conf files would be much easier to navigate
and examine.
--
I've tried to teach people autodidactism,                | ScannedInAvian.com
but it seems they always have to learn it for themselves.| Shae Matijs Erisson