Further Edison comments

Robert Dockins robdockins at fastmail.fm
Wed Mar 8 10:46:11 EST 2006

On Mar 7, 2006, at 10:34 PM, David Menendez wrote:

> Some additional thoughts and speculations about Edison:
>

> (1) The documentation for FiniteMapX warns that the *With functions
> are
> unsafe.
>
>> The passed in combining functions are used to choose which element is
>> kept in the case of duplicates. They are required to satisfy the
>> precondition that, given two equal elements, they return a third
>> element equal to the other two.
>
> That doesn't make sense to me. Unlike the corresponding functions from
> SetX, duplication of keys leads to combining elements. It's perfectly
> reasonable to do things like |Assoc.unionWith (+)| or |
> Assoc.insertWith
> (&&)|.

Humm... that's a very good point.  I think this may be a case of a
little too aggressive cut-n-paste.  I'll review this, but I suspect
you're right.

> (2) I wonder if it would make more sense for Assoc.adjustOrInsert to
> take a function and a default value, i.e.,
>
>     adjustWithDefault ::
>          FiniteMapX k m => a -> (a -> a) -> k -> m a -> m a
>
> (a, a -> a) is isomorphic to (Maybe a -> a), but avoids creating a
> temporary (Maybe a) value.

I sort of like the symmetry with the type for adjustOrDelete (which
is in my queue for adding BTW).  Also, I wonder how often that Maybe
will survive optimizations; its seems like the kind of thing that
would be pretty easy to hoist away.  But I'll think about this.

<reconsidering>
I wonder, which do you think is more intuitive for programmers?  That
seems like the most important point.  I think perhaps the
'WithDefault' formation may be more intuitive.

> (3) I have a sketch of a finite-map-to-finite-relation adaptor,
>
>     newtype Rel m a = Rel (m [a])
>     instance (FiniteMapX m k) => AssocX (Rel m) k

You might want to parameterize over a collection type rather than
hard coding in lists...

> Implementing functions like |delete| would be easier if |FiniteMapX|
> included |update|, a.k.a. |adjustOrDelete|.
>
>     update :: FiniteMapX k m => (a -> Maybe a) -> k -> m a -> m a

Yeah.  I almost added this for RC2, but I got caught up trying to
decide if it needed 'adjustOrDeleteAll' as well and its a little more
difficult to implement than adjustOrInsert.

> WIth it, I could define |delete| more efficiently:
>
>     delete k (Rel m) = Rel $ A.update f k m
>         where
>         f [a]    = Nothing
>         f (a:as) = Just as
>

> (4) Sequence and AssocX replicate several functions from their
> superclasses. It's a small thing, but it bothers me have to define
> |fmap| and |map| (especially since the documentation only says that
> they're "ordinarily" the same).

In the AssocX case I think, this is an artifact from a time when the
typeclass was unable to list Functor as a superclass.  For sequence,
I'm not entirely sure what's going on there.

> I suggest leaving these functions in the Edison interface, but
> removing
> them from the classes.
>
> That is, Data.Edison.Seq would define |empty|, |singleton|, |append|,
> |map|, and |concatMap| as aliases:
>
>     empty :: Sequence s => s a
>     empty = mzero
>
>     singleton :: Sequence s => a -> s a
>     singleton = return
>
> And each implementation would define the usual specialized functions:
>
>     empty :: Seq a
>     empty = ...
>
>     append :: Seq a -> Seq a -> Seq a
>     append = ...
>
>     instance MonadPlus Seq where { mzero = empty; mplus = append }
>
> This preserves Edison's interface while eliminating the duplication
> (and
> possible conflicts) in the class dictionaries. The difference would
> only
> be noticeable in the instance declarations.

I like this.  I'll probably do this for RC3 unless you send me a
patch first :-)

> (5) Many of the unsafe functions have preconditions which can be
> checked
> using |assert|. In my SkewBinary heap, for example, I have
>
>     unsafeInsertMin k a h = assert (null h || k <= root h) $ T k a h E
>
> That sort of thing might be useful during development.

I'm not terribly familiar with 'assert'.  Does it compile away when
you don't want it?  This seems like a good idea in general -- I'll
look into it.

> (6) I've implemented a SkewBinary heap as an associated collection and
> collection instances for Data.IntSet. If you're interested, I can send
> you a copy or submit a patch.

Great!  Yes, please send a patch.  Please make sure to add your
implementations to the test suite.

Rob Dockins

Speak softly and drive a Sherman tank.
           -- TMBG