Text.ParserCombinators.* is a bad name

Ross Paterson ross at soi.city.ac.uk
Wed Mar 8 08:00:15 EST 2006

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 12:27:43PM +0000, Malcolm Wallace wrote:
> Ross Paterson <ross at soi.city.ac.uk> wrote:
> > >     Text.ParserCombinators.Parsec
> > > namespace should be deprecated in favour of:
> > >     Text.Combinators.Parsec
> >
> > If you want to make them shorter, it's the redundant "Combinators"
> > that should go.
>
> Is there not a valid distinction between a Parser library (e.g. for XML
> documents), and a ParserCombinator library (which enables one to write
> parsers)?

An XML parser would presumably be under Text.XML, etc, while a general
one would be higher in the hierarchy.

> Is it helpful to blur the boundaries between the glue and the
> things being glued?

OK, but to replace ParserCombinators with Combinators is to forget
what kind of glue we're talking about.

> > While we're complaining about module names, how about
> > System.Console.GetOpt?
>
> What is wrong with it?  (Not a rhetorical question - I really can't
> guess!)

Sorry, it's the Console I object to, as in System.Console.Readline,
when it's for parsing the command line.  There may be no console
involved at all.