updates to HaXml (1.13.1 and 1.16)

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Wed Jul 12 04:55:32 EDT 2006

On Mon, 10 Jul 2006, Malcolm Wallace wrote:

> Henning Thielemann <lemming at henning-thielemann.de> wrote:
>
> > >     darcs get http://www.cs.york.ac.uk/fp/darcs/HaXml
> >
> > I'm currently trying the latest version from the Darcs repository. The
> > Canonicalise* examples output a lot of spaces within tags.
>
> Yes, that is expected behaviour, due to the pretty printer.  In order to
> avoid adding extra whitespace around text (which could be significant),
> yet still preserve the hierarchical structure of the tree (by
> indentation), all "structuring" whitespace is placed inside the tags
> themselves.

I see, but there are more than 1000 space characters in many tags. Thus
the document size is multiplied by about 100. I could solve the problem
for me by using renderStyle with LeftMode.

> I agree it is not ideal behaviour.  I would like to offer the
> possibility of more traditional indentation as well (as an option).
> No-one has yet coded it however.

I assume that it is difficult to disable nesting locally with the pretty
printer, isn't it? We would need that for content enclosed in PRE tags.